Last Revised: April 23, 2018
Collection of Your Personal Information
Information You Provide to Us
We receive information from users who are interested in obtaining information about our technologies or services, or users who purchase products from our Sites or Services. Typically, the information includes your name, user name, user ID, user password, email address, mailing address, and telephone number. We may collect information such as age, gender, user preferences, and user activities on our Sites or Services. We collect your information that you provide to us when you participate in contests, sweepstakes, or other entries; send us email messages; and/or receive other Services on or through our Sites. In connection with contests or other entries, you may be asked to provide information regarding your social media accounts, including your social media IDs or links to your social media. You do not have to provide any of your information to us, but if you do not provide your information, we may not be able to provide the Services to you (for example, we may not be able to process your online requests or transactions, or you may not be able to participate in the online contests, sweepstakes, or other entries).
Information Collected Automatically
Our Use of Browser Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into our Sites. This allows us to process your online transactions and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our Sites.
Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity.
We may also engage third parties to track and analyze information about your use of our Sites or Services. We use the information collected by such third parties to help us administer and improve the quality of our Sites or Services. Such third parties may combine the information that we provide about you with other information that they have collected. This Privacy Statement does not cover third parties' use of the information.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Users to our Sites or Services who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Sites or Services, but some features may not function.
Our Sites or Services, marketing partners, and third party websites linked to our Sites or Services, may use local shared objects, also known as flash cookies ("Flash LSOs") to store your site preferences and to personalize your visit (such as setting the volume level last used to play a video). Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete, or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your web browser, but you may do so by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/sett... For more information on Flash LSOs, or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, please visit the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, select "Global Storage Settings Panel" and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, select "Website Storage Settings Panel" and follow the instructions to review and, if you wish, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies and Flash LSOs, which are stored on your computer's hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Sites to, among other things, track the activities of site users, manage content, and compile statistics about Sites usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
We use third party web analytics to evaluate usage of our Sites or Services. We also may use other analytic means to evaluate our Sites or Services. We use these tools to help us improve our Sites or Services, or improve performance and user experiences. The information collected through web analytics may be shared with third party analytics service providers. Our Sites or Services may contain links to third party websites. If you provide any information to third party websites, other privacy policies may apply to the collection or use of your information on those sites.
Third party websites linked to our Sites or Services, and marketing or advertising partners may collect information about you and your computer network over time and across different websites to provide targeted or personalized advertising (also referred to as online behavioral advertising or interest-based advertising). Some third party marketing partners comply with the protocols of the Networking Advertising Initiative (NAI) or Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), which give users choices about how their personal information is tracked and used. You can opt-out of receiving ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who subscribe to the NAI or DAA by visiting the opt-out pages at www.networkadvertising.org (NAI homepage) and www.aboutads.info(DAA homepage). For more information about the privacy practices of third party advertisers, please visit their websites and review their policies or contact them directly.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies); you also may opt-out of targeted advertising by following the instructions at www.networkadvertising.org and www.aboutads.info.
Information Provided Through Your Use of Social Media
Our Sites or Services enhance user experience by providing ways to communicate with us and other users through various third party social media services, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube. By logging in to a third party social media service used to communicate on the Sites or Services, you give us permission to access, store and use any information that you permit the applicable third party social media service to share with us in accordance with the privacy settings that apply to your account with the third-party social media services you use to communicate on the Sites or Services, and to combine that information with other information we have from or about you.
Our Use of Your Information
We use the information that we gather about you for the following purposes:
- To provide our Sites or Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Sites or Services, and for other customer service purposes.
- If you order Services or products through a store, we may use your information to complete that order, to provide the service, and to communicate to you about the Site, Service or product.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization and provide personalized help and instructions, and to personalize your experiences while using our Sites or Services.
- To better understand how users access and use our Sites or Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Sites or Services and respond to user and preferences.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions. We may link to your social media, engage with you through social media, send messages or notifications through social media, repost your social media postings, or post or comment on your social media. We also may use the information that we learn about you, such as website activities, interests and user preferences to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites and through social media. If you provide your address, we may send marketing materials, promotional products, or information. In marketing or using your information for promotional purposes, we may provide your information to third-party vendors that provide such services on our behalf (see Sharing Your Personal Information, below).
Onward Transfer/Where We Store and Process Data
Information collected on the Sites or Services may be stored and processed in the United States or other countries in which DTS or its affiliates, subsidiaries or service providers maintain facilities, which may not provide the same level of protection for your personal information as your home country. By submitting any personal information or by using the Sites and without limitation to any other rights or obligations we have, you consent to such transfer to, and processing in, the United States and these other countries, and acknowledge that your information may be subject to access by law enforcement and other government entities, including courts and tribunals, in accordance with laws applicable in those jurisdictions.
Sharing of Your Personal Information
Except as detailed in this Privacy Statement, we will not disclose your personal information outside of DTS and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities without your prior consent. We may share the information that we collect about you as follows:
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect from you to our affiliates or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, the use and disclosure of your personal information will be subject to this Privacy Statement. Our affiliates include, for example, Xperi Corporation, DTS Licensing Ltd., Fotonation Corporation, Fotonation, Ltd., Invensas Corporation, Tessera Technologies, Inc., and DLLNI Ltd.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf. For example, if you order Services or products through a store, we may share your information with a third-party to complete that order, to provide the service, and to communicate to you about the Site, Service or product.
- Marketing Partners and Third Party Advertisers. We may share information about you with our marketing partners, our affiliates, or other third parties to provide relevant advertising and marketing communications to you. If you sign up for specific services that are provided by us, our marketing partners or other third parties, we may share information you provide to us with our marketing partners or other third parties. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications, please refer to our opt-out process.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, a court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Accessing Your Personal Information
To request corrections or access to information we have about you, please send a request via email addresses set forth in the opt-out section. DTS will respond within thirty (30) days from the date of receipt.
Security of Your Personal Information
In an effort to maintain the security and confidentiality of your personal information, we have implemented several security measures to prevent the unauthorized access and use of your personal information. We review these security measures from time to time and evaluate new technologies or approaches that would further enhance the security measures currently in place. Please be informed that despite our best efforts, no security measures are impenetrable. We ask that you safeguard any user password or user ID obtained for use on our Sites or Services as these are personal to each user and link to personal information or other information that may be used to identify you. Each user takes full responsibility for any misuse or unauthorized use of our Sites or Services.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account by unauthorized password activity.
Collection and Use of Children's Personal Information
Our Sites or Services are general audience websites and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you are aware that we have unintentionally collected information from someone who is underage, please notify us immediately by sending an email to DTSLegalPrivacy@dts.com.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
DTS may revise this Privacy Statement at any time. If we decide to change our Privacy Statement, we will post such changes to our Sites and we will update this Privacy Statement with a revised version so that you are aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. If we make material changes to this Privacy Statement, we will post notice of such changes to this Privacy Statement on our Sites at least thirty (30) days prior to their taking effect. We encourage you to bookmark and periodically review this page to ensure that you are familiar with the most current version of this Privacy Statement. You can determine when this Privacy Statement was last revised by checking the "Effective Date" legend at the top of this Privacy Statement.
Special Information for California Consumers
California residents may request and receive once a year, free of charge, a list of third parties to which we have disclosed personal information about you for their own direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. You may make one request per calendar year. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for your response. You may request this information in writing by contacting us at DTSLegalPrivacy@dts.com. Please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response.
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us at DTSLegalPrivacy@dts.com. To make choices about receiving communications, or to update your personal information, please contact us via email at the email addresses set forth in the opt-out section above.