CES 2016: DTS CONTINUES TO EXPAND GLOBAL REACH OF HIGHEST-QUALITY AUDIO
CALABASAS, Calif., Jan. 4, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a global leader in high-definition audio technology and solutions, will showcase and be showcased across a wide array of products and services incorporating its premier digital sound, including DTS:X™ technology, its latest immersive audio solution, at CES 2016, Jan. 6-9 in Las Vegas. Company executives are available by appointment to provide demos to media throughout the show.
"Over the past couple of years, DTS has introduced innovative, next-generation audio solutions to the market from Play-Fi to Headphone:X to DTS:X technologies, along with the recent addition of HD Radio technology to our portfolio," said Jon Kirchner, chairman and CEO of DTS, Inc. "In 2016, DTS will continue to expand its reach for listeners to experience enhanced entertainment no matter where they are. We are proud to highlight the products and services incorporating our solutions for the home, mobile devices and autos as we continue to work hard to fulfill our promise to deliver the highest-quality audio to as many people possible."
Following are the latest updates about DTS audio solutions in partner products and services.
DTS:X Immersive Audio
DTS:X technology delivers truly captivating entertainment experiences in home theaters by accurately conveying the fluid movement of sound to create a richer entertainment soundscape than has previously been possible. DTS:X technology offers the ability to adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits the individual space by seamlessly transporting sound objects to and through specific locations within the viewing environment - in front of, behind, above and beside the audience.
Four major studios are committed to releasing multiple titles to the home market featuring a DTS:X soundtrack. These will follow the first titles that have been released thus far, "Ex Machina," "American Ultra" and "The Last Witch Hunter." The upcoming titles will be announced in the coming weeks and months. The latest DTS:X technology for the home news includes:
- Denon: One of the world's leading manufacturers of high-quality home entertainment products, Denon is upgrading its first AVR units with a firmware update to add full DTS:X immersive sound capability. The DTS:X firmware update will be released on Jan. 28, 2016 for the AVR-X7200W(A) and on Feb. 18 for the AVR-X6200W and the AVR-X4200W. (Dates subject to change per manufacturer)
- Marantz: A world leader in advanced audio technologies, Marantz is announcing a DTS:X firmware update for the AV8802A pre-amplifier onFeb. 4, 2016. The update for the SR7010 and SR6010 AVRs and the AV7702mkII pre-amplifier will be delivered starting March 3. (Dates subject to change per manufacturer)
- Texas Instruments: DTS has certified DTS:X technology on Texas Instruments' DA8xx Performance Audio Platforms for A/V receivers. The TI-based DTS:X solution is available as a 2-DSP solution to run seamlessly in TI's 32bit+16bit memory architecture or 32bit+32bit memory AVR architectures.
- Analog Devices: Has completed DTS certification for the decoding of DTS:X content. ADI's SHARC® 214xx family of processors can now enable DTS:X immersive processing technology to be implemented in AVRs for the home cinema market. Analog Devices' certified SHARC implementation provides confidence to OEMs' that the DTS:X DSP solution meets DTS' implementation requirements.
DTS Play-Fi Home-Home Wireless Technology
DTS Play-Fi® technology provides listeners the freedom and flexibility to stream their music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from smartphones, tablets, laptops or desktop PCs over an existing home Wi-Fi network to speakers throughout the home. The Play-Fi platform allows products from different brands, including Anthem, Definitive Technology, MartinLogan,McIntosh, Paradigm, Phorus, Polk Audio and Wren, to interoperate seamlessly and without the constraints of a single-brand system. The technology enables audio streaming from the world's most popular music services, includingSpotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, SiriusXM and Tidal, as well as thousands ofInternet radio stations and listeners' personal music libraries on any supported product. The latest Play-Fi ecosystem news includes:
- Klipsch Group: A leading global manufacturer of premium sound solutions for the consumer and professional markets, Klipsch is developing Play-Fi-enabled premium speakers to be announced later in 2016.
- Rotel Electronics: A 50-year provider of high-performance audio/video products with its own international design team and manufacturing facilities, Rotel is developing Play-Fi-enabled speaker and audio components to be announced later in 2016.
- Polk Audio: The Omni SB1 Plus sound bar with Polk Audio's patent pending VoiceAdjust™ technology and a powerful wireless subwoofer will be available in March 2016. The Omni A1 Plus wireless amplifier will support re-streaming, has a built-in Ethernet jack and wired IR extension port and will be available in April 2016.
- Amazon Prime Music: Amazon Prime Music will launch on the Play-Fi app on Android devices today, with iOS compatibility coming soon. Amazon Prime members can choose from any of the thousands of Prime Playlists and Stations available on Prime Music to stream and enjoy at no additional cost to their membership.
- iHeartRadio: A free digital radio and music streaming service, iHeartRadio lets listeners stream music, news, sports and podcasts from more than 1,500 live stations, as well as create custom commercial-free stations. The service is scheduled for release on the Play-Fi app for both iOS and Android devices by February 2016.
- Smartron: The India-based company will feature Play-Fi driver integration in select mobile and tablet products in 2016.
HD Radio Technology
In the first major event following its acquisition by DTS in October, HD Radio™technology will be showcased at CES in Booth 925, North Hall. The latest updates include:
- New car models, including the Cadillac CT6, Honda Civic, Kia Rio, Lexus RX, Nissan LEAF, Toyota Land Cruiser and Toyota Prius c, will feature HD Radio receivers.
- Major automotive audio aftermarket brands including Alpine Restyle,Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer and Sony are integrating HD Radio technology into products.
- HD Radio technology has surpassed 100 digital broadcast channels inMexico.
Throughout CES 2016, "The Source" (KUNV 91.5 FM) will feature a special broadcast via HD Radio technology on its HD2 channel. DTS will operate several branded Acura RDX vehicles during the show tuned to this broadcast. Passengers will enjoy the music played through Acura's ELS Premium Audio System, which includes both HD Radio and DTS Neural Surround™ technologies.
HD Radio technology is the only digital broadcast system approved by the FCCfor AM/FM radio in the U.S. offering new FM channels, crystal-clear sound and advanced data services with no subscription fees. HD Radio technology was built into approximately 35% of cars sold in the U.S. in 2014 across all 36 available vehicle brands and more than 200 models. More than 2,300 radio stations have upgraded to HD Radio technology, including 98 of the top 100 stations in the top 10 U.S. markets.
Gaming Headsets with DTS Headphone:X Technology
DTS Headphone:X® technology delivers an authentic, spatially accurate, immersive 3D sound experience through any headphones to let listeners fully immerse themselves in games, movies and music. More and more brands' gaming headsets are integrating DTS Headphone:X technology to enhance the gaming experience like never before. Brands incorporating DTS technology include:
- MadCatz: The UK company has announced the TRITTON™ Katana™ HD 7.1 Wireless Headset, set for release in March 2016.
- Logitech: The G633 Artemis Spectrum and G933 Artemis Spectrum gaming headsets have been recently launched.
- Turtle Beach: Multiple gaming headsets have been released featuring DTS technology, including the Elite 800X and Stealth 500X.
Mobile and Tablets
DTS has developed solutions to enhance the output of small speakers on smartphones and tablets to provide the best possible audio experience. As the use of mobile devices for consuming entertainment content keeps growing, solutions such as DTS Headphone:X technology, which delivers immersive sound through any headphones and earbuds, and DTS-HD Premium Sound™ technology, which transforms stereo into virtual surround sound, continue to be implemented by leading global brands to deliver listeners the most immersive experience possible. The latest mobile and tablet news includes:
- Asus: The Asus Zenpad S 8.0 is the world's first tablet to incorporate DTS-HD Premium Sound technology.
- Huawei: The flagship Huawei Mate 7 smartphone, as well as the Mate S, Mate 8, P8 and P8 Max include integrated DTS audio solutions.
- Letv: Letv's Le 1 Pro and Le Max smartphones feature DTS Headphone:X technology. Additionally, DTS-HD Premium Sound technology is incorporated into the Le 1 handset.
- Micromax: The Indian company will launch its first products with DTS solutions in 2016.
- Obi Mobile: Dubai-based Obi Mobile will be deploying DTS solutions in its devices in 2016.
- Smartron: In addition to Play-Fi technology, Smartron will integrate DTS-HD Premium Sound technology into smartphones, tablets and notebooks set for release in 2016.
TVs and Sound Bars
DTS is the only proprietary audio codec solution that can provide real-time scalability to lossless file delivery and flexible streaming on-demand directly to connected televisions. Changhong, Hisense, Letv, Skyworth and TCL will be showcasing TVs at CES featuring integrated DTS solutions, including DTS 2.0+ Digital Out™, DTS-HD®, DTS Premium Sound and DTS TruSurround™ technologies. Additionally, DTS Headphone:X technology is incorporated in dozens of new Samsung 4K TV models, and DTS Studio Sound II technology enhances the audio experience on several Vizio 4K TVs and sound bars.
Throughout 2015, DTS sound has been integrated into several streaming services and connected devices, from set top boxes and game consoles to TVs and tablets. As the number of devices and services continues to expand globally, combining premium DTS-HD surround sound with enhanced 4K picture will offer consumers the highest-quality entertainment experience possible. DTS partner services include 3DGo, CinemaNow, M-GO and Starz(USA), Alibaba Tmall Box (China), CinemaNow UK and Carrefour's Nolim Films(Europe) and Primetime (Thailand).
- Carrefour: Beginning in January 2016, Carrefour, the largest retailer inEurope, will offer its subscribers and users the latest Hollywoodblockbusters and hit TV shows, as well as French content and additional on-demand video in DTS-HD surround sound on its Nolim Films service in partnership with Saffron Digital.